Notre-Dame de Fontaine-Guérard Abbey
In the Andelle valley next to a miraculous water source in an unspoilt natural setting, there used to be an abbey for nuns dedicated to prayer and meditation. Founded in 1190, it was attached to the Cistercian Order of Citeaux in 1207 and completed in 1253. Despite damages caused by the French Revolution in 1789, the remaining monastic buildings are considered as a masterpiece of Anglo-Norman Gothic architecture from the early 13thcentury that reflects the Cistercian strictness in its purity of form.
The visit will take you through the troglodytic cellars, the church and its vaulted choir, the nuns' building with the Chapter House, the dormitory and the workroom, and the monastic gardens.
As a place of legend, the pine and chestnut trees with branches intertwined symbolize the legend of the two lovers, which tells the story of passionate love.
Open from 29th March to 30th September 2018 :From 29th March to 24th June: on Sundays, bank holidays and Ascension weekend from 2 pm to 6 pm,
From 9th July to 31st August: every day from 2 pm to 6.30pm (closed on 18th and 19th August)From 2nd to 30th September: on Sundays and on the Heritage Open Days from 2 pm to 6 pm.
Open to groups all year round upon reservation.
Disabled visitors, students and unemployed people
from 7 to 17 years
by appointment only
2 parents + children